Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gompers Avenue Fire

4:08 PM The fire whistles blew. I was outside in the Gazette parking lot and was walking back in when my Co-worker Jamie was coming to find me. She said there was a possible structure fire in the 1200 block of Gompers Ave. I jumped in the Gazette car and OF COURSE hit massive traffic trying to get onto Philadelphia Street. Finally I made it to Gompers...where there was smoke billowing out of a small metal building with the word "Office" hanging over the door. Access was made by the fire fighters into the building and once oxygen hit the fire...it came shooting out of the top. What a smokey blaze too! At one point the safety horns had to be blown to get the men safely out of the building because there was no way to see what the stability of the structure was. Three fire companies later and countless men and women going in and out of the building, numerous windows busted and usage of heat seeking cameras the fire was out. I'm so glad that I was working today. I've been waiting for a blaze like this for a while. I'm not morbid but like I've said a million times...bad things are going to happen regardless. I just hope I'm the one working when they go down.
These are my favorite shots of the day...below. I lurve it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

who is that? ben, ? and dinger? good shots teri! i didnt know what went down on the fire, but i heard it STUNK!!!